Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Magnifying Magic Sight Word Activity

Not only has it been a short week because of President's Day, but I was sick yesterday, so I had a sub. Then today, we actually had a K-3 sub day where we all had subs and we met for professional development (pretty amazing, huh??? - thanks so much to our awesome principal for giving us that gift) and implementation time. Anyway, I haven't even seen my darlings yet this week!! So crazy! However, today's professional development was so helpful, and we talked a lot about teaching vocabulary. My coworker and I will be explicitly teaching strategies for figuring out words and using vocabulary strategies as you read, and I'm super excited about it! More on that later! 

Last week sometime I mentioned a sight word activity using magnifying glasses. I actually got the idea for this activity from my old teaching partner who had heard of a similar activity using spelling words. I have used this activity for both spelling and sight words, and either way, the kiddos LOVE it! To play, students use a magnifying glass (either the little science ones that I'm sure your schools have, or anytime I can, I look for magnifying glasses in the $1 bins at Target - they sometimes have some super cute ones) to find the "secret word". They then write the word and use in a sentence/draw a quick pic. To make this activity, I just type the words in super small font - so simple! Feel free to download this 1st grade sight word magnifying magic activity below. I think I've got it to where you can just click the picture to download it - BIG thanks to Deb over at http://mrsreynoldsfirstgradeadventures.blogspot.com/ for helping me figure out how to link my images!!! :-)

  Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Students would love using a magnifying glass to read sight words! Thank you!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love the magnifying glass idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    Lisa
    stories114.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! What a great way to tie-in science with literacy! Looking forward to checking out more of your ideas!

    -Krista
    The Second Grade Superkids

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips